DescriptionOriginating in the arcades, Spy Hunter is a driving action game played from an overhead point of view. Your car is equipped with machine guns to help you get past the numerous enemies out on the road (be careful not to shoot any civilians, though!) Occasionally you will come across a weapons van, and if you drive into the back of the van your car becomes equipped with a second weapon (such as smoke screen, oil slick, or missiles). At several points the road splits and you can enter a boathouse which transforms your car into a boat temporarily. If you drive far enough the seasons change as well (watch out for icy conditions during winter!). The enemy cars will do anything to stop you, including running you off the road, firing guns from the back of a limo, or dropping bombs from a helicopter.
There are no promo images for this game
- "Spyhunter" -- Alternate spelling
Part of the Following Groups
|Great chase game||Katakis | カタキス (39520)|
|Zzap!||May, 1985||87 out of 100||87|
|Commodore User||Mar, 1989||56 out of 100||56|
|Commodore User||Jun, 1985||40|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe Arcade version of Spy Hunter appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
DevelopmentAccording to the magazine Retro Gamer (issue #2), the game was originally developed as James Bond licensee, but the publisher backed out because of the high licensing fees.
RemakeThere is a freeware remake named Highway Pursuit released in 2003.
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #99 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- May 1985 (Issue 1) - #17 'It's the Zzap! 64 Top 64!'
Related Web Sites
- AtariMania (Atari 2600) (for Atari 2600: downloadable release; online version; cassette inlay; advertisement; additional material)
- AtariMania (Atari 8-bit) (for (Atari 8-bit): downloadable release; software sets; advertisement; additional material)
- Cambridge Centre for Computing History (for (BBC Micro): exhibit reference ID CH4319; additional material)
- CPC-Power (in French) (for Amstrad CPC: game database entry; package material; manual digitalizations; downloadable releases; additional material)
- Lemon 64 (for C64: reviews; music; manual; cover art digitalizations; additional material)
- The International Arcade Museum (extensive information about the arcade game machine)
- World of Spectrum (for ZX Spectrum: downloadable releases; additional material including – cassete inlay, advertisement, instructions; player reviews; magazine references; magazine adverts)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.