Forum Search  

Help needed: new polls & featured games.

Simon Carless (1801) on Apr 29, 2018

We recently mentioned the 'featured games' part of the MobyGames homepage, so a quick plea - we're a bit short on both featured games and (to a lesser extent, but still!) new polls, so if you have a chance, please submit some. Thanks!

Re: Help needed: new polls & featured games.

Kennyannydenny (60545) on Apr 29, 2018

I have one featured game queued since the 5th of this month, maybe also approve them to make sure you're not running a short supply ;)

Simon Carless (1801) on Apr 30, 2018

Just approved the pending 'featured games' - there was your one plus some from the people who normally submit (Tony & Katie!) - which will will use. But could still def. use some more over time. (And def. polls!) Thanks...

Kennyannydenny (60545) on Apr 30, 2018

Ah right, that's indeed not that many then. Will see if I can find some imho other gems. The Witcher 3 has sucked me in again though, it's just such an amazing game (already covered by MAT in the past :P).

Cavalary (10002) on Apr 30, 2018

Always struck me as quite... presumptuous to submit something as a featured game. Seems like something that should be selected by the most trusted users (so probably admins) from existing entries. Maybe alternating between something dug up from games in the database for many years and something from more recent additions (regardless of release date).

Cantillon (14885) on Apr 30, 2018

I kind of agree, since this is front page material. Look at the recent entry for Hopkins FBI. There is some strange stuff in there for a 'featured game'.

I do agree about that Hopkins FBI. I thought the "featured game" section was to show of gems you found to the rest of the community, not writing why a game is terrible :P

I do not however think that only admins should do that. Maybe also approvers. Or submissions should be reviewed more throughoughly before approving.

Alaka (55328) on Apr 30, 2018

Kennyannydenny Wrote:
I do agree about that Hopkins FBI. I thought the "featured game" section was to show of gems you found to the rest of the community, not writing why a game is terrible :P

Not true. Read the featured game articles for William Shatner's Tek War and John Romero's Daikatana all the way back from 2001 for example. Featured games were not meant only for hidden gems.

Considering it's tough to get people to bother to write these things in the first place (hence Simon's constant pleas for more), perhaps we shouldn't be thinking of ways of limiting the authors.

Also fine by me, it's not that I'm a fan of limiting the authors, I just ment that making it admin only would not be the correct way to go imho. But good that I can also write featured game that are really crappy, not just hidden gems. Always figured it was just for good games, I don't mind writing these but couldn't think of any really good games worth writing about (did that with Rime this month). But with crappy games also a possibility, that'll become easier for sure.

Patrick Bregger (199871) on May 01, 2018

Personally I think the features games section is meant to highlight interesting games, not necessarily good ones. If the author has something interesting to say about a game, why not?

Plokite_Wolf (7014) on May 02, 2018

Patrick Bregger Wrote:
If the author has something interesting to say about a game, why not?

To be honest, it hasn't been our schtick lately.